Learn to read, speak and understand French! Start with this class if you have little to no exposure to French and begin your path to fluency. You will learn basic French conversational tools and useful concepts with emphasis on pronunciation, comprehension, basic grammar and, especially, conversation. Through weekly instruction and guided exercises, you will develop the speaking, listening, reading and writing skills necessary to communicate effectively en français.
This course uses the PowerSchool Haiku Learning platform, an innovative cloud-based learning management and classroom collaboration solution designed to meet the needs of all learners. All course content including videos, exercises, review, and practice will be accessible to students in the Haiku classroom.
- To carry on basic oral communication with little difficulty with native speakers of French.
- To acquire pronunciation and diction of standard International French conducive to effective communication with native and near-native speakers.
- To develop a beginner’s basic degree of comprehension of French spoken at native rate of speech.
- To understand written French, especially in support of subsequent oral discussion or dialogue.
Levels and registers of language
- To become able to differentiate and distinguish.
- To be prepared linguistically to take more advanced French classes.
- Online registration closes at 6 p.m. one day before the start of the class, unless noted on individual sections.
- Late registration is welcome! Please contact SMU CAPE at 214-768-2273 for assistance.