Indulge your intellectual curiosity about the human condition in this study of Language – not a particular language, but rather how all languages work. Learn about the history of linguistics and how language interacts with culture and politics. Through active learning and class exercises, compare the features of different languages.
Each session will cover a specific topic:
- Sounds (phonetics and phonology)
- Words (morphology)
- Grammar (syntax)
- Meaning and use (semantics and pragmatics)
- History (etymology)
- How children and adults learn language (language acquisition)
- Online registration closes at 6 p.m. one day before the start of the class, unless noted on individual sections.
- Late registration is welcome! Please contact SMU CAPE at 214-768-2273 for assistance.