Learn the essentials of Chinese language in this intensive class. Students will learn useful phrases, basic grammar, and pronunciation, as well as gain an understanding of Chinese characters. Students will study and practice pronunciation of Chinese sounds and tones and learn the basics of how Chinese characters are written and how they convey meaning. Prepare to communicate in Chinese in the real-world through modern Chinese language pop songs, television commercials, and film. By the end of the week, with the help of a Mandarin Chinese phrase book and its corresponding Audio Phase Book app, students will be able to speak Chinese in complete travel-oriented phrases.
This course is ideal for students interested in Chinese language, including those who might be struggling in language study. Through the use of videos and songs, students will learn how to study the language quickly and effectively.
Please note times are in Central Standard Time (CST).
- Day 1: Introduction to Chinese language and character writing; pronunciation of Chinese sounds and tones; and study of basic phrases and time expressions.
- Day 2: Practice pronunciation of Chinese sounds and tones; write Chinese characters; and learn phrases about getting around town.
- Day 3: Shopping, clothing and colors; revisit time phrases; write Chinese characters; and learn about shopping and purchasing items through film, video and pop songs.
- Day 4: Sightseeing, sports, leisure, and health; write Chinese characters; and learn about health and sports through film, video and pop songs.
- Day 5: Food and dining out; read a Chinese menu guide: write Chinese characters; and learn about Chinese cuisine through film, video and pop songs.
- Online registration closes at noon 4 days prior to the start of the class.
- For late registration options, please contact SMU College Prep at 214-768-2267 for assistance.