The ability to write clearly and directly is highly prized in most organizations. Well-written emails and documents can help you earn respect among your peers. And poorly written emails and documents can detract from success at all levels. The ideas, techniques, and checklists in this introductory-level course apply to all forms of business writing: memos, reports, brochures, proposals, presentations, catalogs, and websites. This course will also teach how to revise for wordiness, unnecessary phrases, redundancy, and jargon, and the appropriate use of email in an organizational setting.
After completing this course, you'll be able to:
- Recognize the difference between ineffective and effective writing
- List and define the four major factors of effective writing (clarity, tone, organization, and delivery)
- Recognize the role of the audience in effective communication and the importance of understanding an audience's needs
- Employ formal and informal outlining techniques
- List and recognize techniques for overcoming writer's block
- Recognize the importance and dangers of writing quickly
- Revise for wordiness, unnecessary phrases, redundancy, and jargon
- Write more effective emails and recognize the appropriate use of email in an organizational setting
- Employ checklists for organizing, writing, and revising
Upon completion of the course, learners may be eligible for:
- PMI PDUs: 5
- Leadership PDUs: 0.75
- Strategic & Business Management PDUs: 0.25
- Technical PM PDUs: 4
- IACET CEUs: 0.5 (Contact Hours: 5 hours)
- HRCI Credits: 5 (Type: Specified - Strategic Business)
- SHRM PDCs: 5
Learners must achieve an average test score of at least 70% to meet the minimum successful completion requirement and qualify to receive IACET CEUs.
This course is offered through our curriculum partner, MindEdge, Inc. MindEdge was founded in 1998 by Harvard and MIT educators with a mission to improve the way the world learns. Since then, more than three million learners have participated in MindEdge programs.
Registered students will receive individualized communication with further instructions to help you prepare for class.