Confidence is a key to delivering an effective speech or presentation. And delivering an effective presentation can be critical to success at work. This introductory-level course helps you develop the skills you'll need to become an outstanding and confident public speaker. It reviews the seven stages of public speaking including defining the audience and crafting your central message, all the way to writing, practicing, and delivering your presentation or speech. This course is an essential part of honing the skill of presenting and setting the stage for the boost of confidence to help you succeed.
After completing this course, you should be able to:
- Describe the seven stages of giving a speech or presentation
- Discuss the elements of establishing your purpose for speaking (Stage One)
- Recognize the need to consider your audience (Stage Two)
- Describe how to develop your central message (Stage Three)
- Explain how to employ evidence in supporting your main points (Stage Four)
- Discuss how to craft your speech (Stage Five)
- Explain how to rehearse for your speech (Stage Six)
- Describe techniques for delivering your speech (Stage Seven)
- Recognize best practices for employing slides in your presentation
- Describe key techniques for dealing with speech anxiety
- Discuss how to handle difficult questions
- Describe effective responses when things go wrong
This course is offered through our curriculum partner, MindEdge, Inc. MindEdge was founded in 1998 by Harvard and MIT educators with a mission to improve the way the world learns. Since then, more than three million learners have participated in MindEdge programs.
Registered students will receive individualized communication with further instructions to help you prepare for class.