This online, self-paced six-module course presents a stream-lined approach to project management based on the best practices of experienced, effective project managers. It cuts through the clutter and focuses on the key principles of project management in the real world, offering tools and techniques for achieving project success.
Managing Real World Projects™ is intended for anyone who needs to lead or manage projects of any kind. Managing Real World Projects™ provides you with a clear road map for leading a project through the five key project stages: Initiating, Planning, Controlling, Executing and Closing. You'll be exposed to the basic tools employed in each of these stages, including templates for a comprehensive project plan, work breakdown schedules, task list, issue list, risk register and close-out documents. Each stage is illustrated by examples and video commentary by project management professionals, where you can see how best practices are applied to solve project challenges.
Taking advantage of online interactivity, the course utilizes vocabulary games, flashcards, and drag-and-drop activities to help you master the material. Numerous mastery quizzes and ten interactive real world case studies allow you to test your understanding of the content, along with a comprehensive course-ending exam. By submitting a question via the course's Ask the Expert link, you get access to project managers who will answer your questions within 24-48 hours.
After completing this course, you'll be able to:
- Understand the five project stages (Initiating, Planning, Controlling, Executing and Closing)
- Recognize constraints for projects (scope, time, and budget)
- Explain key project management terminology
- Outline the keys to a successful project launch
- Understand how to establish project goals and deliverables with stakeholders
- Manage the planning, execution, and control of your projects
- Recognize project management best practice, including Agile, Lean, and other techniques
- Understand project team dynamics
- Understand how to communicate clearly with stakeholders and project team members
- Recognize effective tools for change management
- Explain and employ key tools and techniques employed in the five stages
- Manage the closing process for your project, including transfer, acceptance, and approval
This course is offered through our curriculum partner, MindEdge, Inc. MindEdge was founded in 1998 by Harvard and MIT educators with a mission to improve the way the world learns. Since then, more than three million learners have participated in MindEdge programs.
Registered students will receive individualized communication with further instructions to help you prepare for class.