This course examines communications and network security. It covers the different types of networks and different transmission technologies and the two main models that govern how networks work, the OSI model and the TCP/IP model, and their related layers. This course also features a number of fictional scenarios that will help you apply what you've learned to situations you may encounter in the real world.
After completing this course, you'll be able to:
- Discuss the general concepts that enable networking and its role in information technology
- Compare the different types of networks, including LANs, WANs, and MANs, as well as the Internet, intranets, and extranets
- Explain what the Open Systems Interconnection (OSI) Reference Model is and identify its seven layers
- Contrast the OSI model with the TCP/IP Model
- Identify common protocols and differentiate among network, routing, and data link protocols
- Describe the functions of common networking devices, including bridges, routers, hubs, repeaters, switches, and firewalls
- Discuss how wireless networks work and the technology that enables them
- Identify common network attacks and how they can be prevented
- Analyze a real-world scenario and make appropriate recommendations to address and improve network security
Upon completion of the courses, learners may be eligible for:
- PMI PDUs: 5
- Strategic & Business Management PDUs: 0.5
- Technical PM PDUs: 4.5
- IACET CEUs: 0.5 (Contact Hours: 5 hours)
- HRCI Credits: 5 (Type: Specified - Strategic Business)
- SHRM PDCs: 5
Learners must achieve an average test score of at least 70% to meet the minimum successful completion requirement and qualify to receive IACET CEUs.
This course is offered through our curriculum partner, MindEdge, Inc. MindEdge was founded in 1998 by Harvard and MIT educators with a mission to improve the way the world learns. Since then, more than three million learners have participated in MindEdge programs.
Registered students will receive individualized communication with further instructions to help you prepare for class.