Course DescriptionThis course covers topics related to communications and network security. It begins with a lesson in the different types of networks and different transmission technologies. It also covers the two main models that govern how networks work: the OSI model and the TCP/IP model, as well as their related layers. The course includes a detailed discussion of the many protocols that allow networks and network devices to communicate with one another and includes a discussion of firewalls and wireless networks. This course is designed for IT professionals and other adult learners who are interested in gaining an introduction to information technology security.
After completing this course, you will be able to:
- Discuss the general concepts that enable networking and its role in information technology
- Compare the different types of networks, including LANs, WANs, and MANs, as well as the Internet, intranets, and extranets
- Explain what the Open Systems Interconnection (OSI) Reference Model is and identify its seven layers
- Contrast the OSI model with the TCP/IP Model
- Identify common protocols and differentiate between network, routing, and data link protocols
- Describe the functions of common networking devices, including bridges, routers, hubs, repeaters, switches, and firewalls
- Discuss how wireless networks work and the technology that enables them
- Identify common network attacks and how they can be prevented
Upon completion of the course, learners may be eligible for:
- IACET CEUs: 0.5 (Contact Hours: 5 hours)
Learners must achieve an average test score of at least 70% to meet the minimum successful completion requirement and qualify to receive IACET CEUs.
This course is offered through our curriculum partner, MindEdge, Inc. MindEdge was founded in 1998 by Harvard and MIT educators with a mission to improve the way the world learns. Since then, more than three million learners have participated in MindEdge programs.
Registered students will receive individualized communication with further instructions to help you prepare for class.