In this simulation, you've been named the project leader for an exciting new project—the development of a knowledge sharing database for your company, Four Corners BioPharma, Inc. The project will involve establishing processes for storing and sharing knowledge in your multinational corporation and developing the 4CShare software itself.
Over the course of the project, you'll make decisions about the project scope, schedule, budget, quality, and risk. As you make these decisions, an adaptive scoreboard will reflect the impact of your choices on project success. The goal in the simulation is to optimize positive scores across the following project management factors:
- Initiating the Project
- Planning the Project
- Executing the Project
- Monitoring and Controlling the Project
- Closing the Project
- Cross-Cutting Knowledge and Skills
This simulation is meant to sharpen your understanding of key project management skills. Those skills include:
- Leading a project team
- Balancing competing interests, such as project scope, quality, schedule, budget, resources, risk, communications, and procurement considerations throughout every project phase
- Dealing with controversial decisions and the potential for negative team or customer outcomes
- Analyzing schedule, budget, and quality data and using that information to make educated decisions
- Addressing issues related to project procurement
Many sections will have quizzes, and your score on these quizzes will determine whether you can receive a certificate of completion, and Project Management Institute® professional development units (PDUs) for completing the simulation. If you average a cumulative 70% or above on the quizzes, you will receive the certificate.
Online Course FAQ
When can I start?
As soon as you have a confirmation of enrollment. This can take up to 72 business hours. Please allow extra time for weekends and holidays.
What skills do online learners need?
Most courses require a basic level of computer skills, including the ability to send and receive e-mail, as well as research on the Internet. If more advanced skills are required, they will be listed in the course description.
Do I need an e-mail account for my online course?
Yes, all students taking online courses must have an email account. Email accounts may be obtained by signing up for a free account through Gmail, Yahoo! or Hotmail.
When it says a course is 200 hours long, does that mean I have to sit at my computer for 200 hours?
No, it means that the author of the course has stated that he or she expects you to be able to complete the course in 200 hours. This time frame may include homework, research, reading, or in some cases, additional development and reflection time.
What are the advantages to online learning?
With online learning, you can study from home or work. You can log on and off as often as you need to, and the course will pick up right where you left off. Also, you only learn what you want to know. Lastly, the courses are Web-based, so you can log on from any computer that has access to the internet.
What kind of certificate do I get when I have completed the course?
Once you have completed your course, a Certificate of Completion will be sent from SMU Professional and Online.
Who do I contact if I have a problem with my course?
Please fill out the form at http://mindedge.com/page/contact-form/type/customer with information about the issue.
What are the minimum technical requirements for the course?
- Any modern Office suite: Microsoft Office, Apple iWork, OpenOffice, or LibreOffice
- The latest Adobe Reader/Acrobat Reader (free download available at http://www.adobe.com)
- The last three versions of the major browsers: Firefox, Chrome, Safari, Internet Explorer, Edge.
- Other web browsers may work, but may not render all features of the courses
- Cookies must be enabled
- Reliable internet connection. Broadband cable or high-speed DSL is recommended for optimal experience.
- E-mail account (to be able to register and to receive e-mail from the course system regarding registration, course status, etc.)
Note: Some courses may have additional hardware and/or software requirements. Any additional requirements will be listed in the course description and course syllabus.
What if I need to suspend my attendance, cancel my registration, or withdraw?
SMU PRO online course enrollment is final as of 3 business days after purchase and programs are intended to be successfully completed in full. If you wish to withdraw from a course during the first 3 days after purchase a 90% refund may be issued, contingent upon you completing less than 10% of the course content. If more than 10% of the course has been completed, no refund will be issued. Additionally, after the 3 day grace period, withdrawal from the programs or not completing the program forfeits your tuition costs. We do not provide any prorated refunds or credits for partial certificate program completion.