This course is based on A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge, (PMBOK® Guide) 6th edition.If seeking PMI certification, learners enrolling in this exam prep course should be planning to sit for PMI's 6th edition exam.
This completely online and self-paced project management program builds successful project managers at all levels of the organization. It provides a comprehensive preparation for the Project Management Professional (PMP)®certification exam including exam-taking tips, 26 comprehensive module quizzes, five process group tests, and two full-length, 200-question practice exams covering the areas of interest from A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge, (PMBOK® Guide), which will provide a report to help you determine your areas of weakness.
- Recognize how enterprise environmental factors and organizational process assets affect how projects can be managed
- Explain the five stages of a project life cycle and illustrate how these stages can overlap in time
- Demonstrate how to create a project management plan with subsidiary plans for each of the knowledge areas and explain how progressive elaboration and integrated change management can keep these documents effective and relevant
- Explain the overlapping nature of project activities and practice Project Integration Management to coordinate the various project management processes
- Illustrate how a project's various baselines (including scope, cost, schedule, quality, risk, procurement, and others) are determined, planned for, and managed
- Recognize how to effectively manage human resources and communicate with all stakeholders
- Explain the key methods used to estimate project schedule and cost at the beginning of a project and to forecast cost and schedule variances at any time during the project
- Identify key project stakeholders and continuously engage them in appropriate project activities
- Describe how the project management knowledge contained in the PMBOK® Guide can be used in practice
This course aligns with the PMBOK® Guide Sixth Edition. (The PMBOK® Guide is not included in the cost of this course and must be purchased separately.)
This course has an "Ask the Expert" feature, which submits your questions directly to an expert in the field you are studying. Questions are answered as quickly as possible and usually within 24 hours.
The course also allows you to submit a question via the Ask the Expert link, providing access to project managers who will assist with any problems you may have within 24-48 hours.
After successful completion, you will receive 35 PDUs/contact hours to qualify to take the PMI® Project Management Professional® Exam. Successful completion means completing all assignments in the course, and scoring a minimum of 70% on the second 200-question practice test.
Learners should have some experience in project management and will need to have access to the Project Management Institute®'s A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK® Guide), Sixth Edition.
Learners must achieve an average test score of at least 70% to meet the minimum successful completion requirement and qualify to receive IACET CEU credit. Learners will have three attempts at all graded assessments.
Project Management Institute, PMI, the Registered Education Provider logo, Project Management Professional, PMP, PgMP, PfMP, Project Management Body of Knowledge, PMBOK, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner, PMI-ACP, PMI Risk Management Professional, PMI-RMP, PMI-SP, PMI-PBA, the PMI Talent Triangle, and the PMI Talent Triangle logo are marks of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
Information in this course has been taken from A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge, (PMBOK®Guide) — Sixth Edition, Project Management Institute Inc., 2017.
Online Course FAQ
When can I start?
As soon as you have a confirmation of enrollment. This can take up to 72 business hours. Please allow extra time for weekends and holidays.
What skills do online learners need?
Most courses require a basic level of computer skills, including the ability to send and receive e-mail, as well as research on the Internet. If more advanced skills are required, they will be listed in the course description.
Do I need an e-mail account for my online course?
Yes, all students taking online courses must have an email account. Email accounts may be obtained by signing up for a free account through Gmail, Yahoo! or Hotmail.
When it says a course is 200 hours long, does that mean I have to sit at my computer for 200 hours?
No, it means that the author of the course has stated that he or she expects you to be able to complete the course in 200 hours. This time frame may include homework, research, reading, or in some cases, additional development and reflection time.
What are the advantages to online learning?
With online learning, you can study from home or work. You can log on and off as often as you need to, and the course will pick up right where you left off. Also, you only learn what you want to know. Lastly, the courses are Web-based, so you can log on from any computer that has access to the internet.
What kind of certificate do I get when I have completed the course?
Once you have completed your course, a Certificate of Completion will be sent from SMU Professional and Online.
Who do I contact if I have a problem with my course?
Please fill out the form at http://mindedge.com/page/contact-form/type/customer with information about the issue.
What are the minimum technical requirements for the course?
- Any modern Office suite: Microsoft Office, Apple iWork, OpenOffice, or LibreOffice
- The latest Adobe Reader/Acrobat Reader (free download available at http://www.adobe.com)
- The last three versions of the major browsers: Firefox, Chrome, Safari, Internet Explorer, Edge.
- Other web browsers may work, but may not render all features of the courses
- Cookies must be enabled
- Reliable internet connection. Broadband cable or high-speed DSL is recommended for optimal experience.
- E-mail account (to be able to register and to receive e-mail from the course system regarding registration, course status, etc.)
Note: Some courses may have additional hardware and/or software requirements. Any additional requirements will be listed in the course description and course syllabus.
What if I need to suspend my attendance, cancel my registration, or withdraw?
SMU PRO online course enrollment is final as of 3 business days after purchase and programs are intended to be successfully completed in full. If you wish to withdraw from a course during the first 3 days after purchase a 90% refund may be issued, contingent upon you completing less than 10% of the course content. If more than 10% of the course has been completed, no refund will be issued. Additionally, after the 3 day grace period, withdrawal from the programs or not completing the program forfeits your tuition costs. We do not provide any prorated refunds or credits for partial certificate program completion.